If you have a story with our data, please let us know at email@example.com
Description of data structure
- cat: category (i.e., gender)
- grp: group (i.e., men or women)
- fips: 11-digit FIPS code, identifying census tract
- Statistics for each year/month are provided in different columns, identified by YYYY_MM
- Civilian Non-Institutionalized Population (column name = cnip_YYYY_MM): this is essentially an estimate of the population size, reflecting the baseline definition in the BLS data.
- Labor Force Participants (laborforce_YYYY_MM): number of people who either have a job or are actively looking for work
- Employed People (employed_YYYY_MM): number of people with a job
- If the filename ends with _prelim, that means that the most recent month’s data is preliminary, i.e., it does not account for county-level LAUS data.
- If the filename ends with _final, that means it includes the final estimate for the most recent month.
- Older months always show final estimates, in either type of data file.